Winter rest in Antalya: what is it like?
Very often, buyers of real estate in Antalya ask questions: Is it worth buying an apartment just for the summer beach holiday? Is there life in Antalya in winter? What is the winter coast of the Mediterranean? In this article we will try to convince you that Antalya is beautiful not only in the summer. That winter here offers a lot of options for recreation and entertainment for the whole family.
The coast of the Mediterranean Sea in the winter months resembles spring - warm, mostly sunny weather, periodic rains and thunderstorms. The average air temperature in Antalya in winter is +15, very often during the day the air warms up to +20. At night, the thermometer can drop to 0, but this is rare. Average temperature at night is +5. Freezing and snow or hail in Antalya is very rare. Snow can be seen only on the tops of the Taurus Mountains surrounding the city. The average temperature of the sea water is +17. On warm sunny days you can even see bathers. Big storms and hurricanes in winter in Antalya and its environs happen, but this is not a frequent occurrence and they last not for long. Usually the next day the sun shines brightly and all puddles dry up.
It is because of comfortable daytime temperatures that Antalya is loved among tourists who do not tolerate heat and scorching sun. Visitors coming here in winter are attracted by the possibility of long hiking and cycling along the sea, fresh sea and mountain air, an abundance of greenery and citrus fruits right on the trees, lower prices for many services and goods.
Winter Antalya is ideal for people who love active recreation. In winter it is very comfortable to go on all sorts of excursions to the sights of Antalya, its environs and Turkey as a whole. The prices for winter excursions are much lower, and excursion groups are much less in number of tourists than in summer. In winter, you will receive much more attention and information from the guide accompanying you, and the trip or walk will be more calm and comfortable. Of course, the number of sightseeing tours in winter is lower than in the hot summer season, but you can always find a tour of your liking.
Examples of winter excursions and pastimes that we can recommend to you:
- Sightseeing tour of the city: on warm sunny winter days it is much more comfortable to walk around the city and its sights on foot, in the summer it is quite difficult because of the scorching sun. Only a full review of the Old Town in Antalya can take a whole day. In the evening, you can find a cozy place with a fireplace, a delicious wine and dinner, and music to your liking. The choice of restaurants and cafes in the Old City of Antalya is very large.
- Visit to the main sights of the city: Okenarium (Aquarium), Ethnographic Museum, Toy Museum, Lower and Upper Duden Falls, Kurshunlu Falls,Zoo, Inverted House ... In winter there is no such large crowd of people due to the lack of tourist groups. Therefore, walking along the zoo or waterfalls, or the Antalya Museum, you can enjoy the excursion in a relaxed atmosphere.
- SPA-procedures: in winter in Antalya, a paradise for lovers of Turkish baths, saunas and all kinds of SPA-salons. There are SPA centers in every hotel, in winter prices are lower, there are fewer people, much more attention was paid to you. In addition to hotel spa centers, a network of Turkish baths Onay is also popular in Antalya. There is a branch in the center, in Kepez, a fully female Turkish bath is located on the territory of a women's beach in Sarisu.
- Trip to the thermal hotel: Turkey is rich in thermal springs. It stands in the list of leading states for the availability of health-improving treatment centers. And the winter months are a great time for a wellness holiday in one of the thermal spas. Prices are much lower than European ones, therefore resorts are popular not only among locals, but also among foreign tourists. The most popular thermal hotels in Turkey are located in Pammukale, Afyon, Bolu, Yalova ...
- Visiting the ruins of ancient cities: in the vicinity of Antalya there are many places where the ruins of the ancient cities have been preserved. Located on the coast Olympos and Phaselis, an amphitheater with stunning acoustics and a racetrack in Aspendos, hidden high in the mountains the very well-preserved Termessos, the largest stadium and baths of Perge, magnificent examples of Roman architecture in Sagalassos, the Church of St. Nicholas in Demre and rock tombs in the ancient Lycian city - Mira, the sunken city of Kekova - all these places are worth a visit and in winter such excursions are quite popular precisely because of the comfortable temperature air.
- Hiking in the mountains: winter in Antalya is ideal for lovers of mountains and trekking tours. Very popular are tracking tours of the Lycian trail in the mountainous terrain to the west of Antalya. Unforgettable impressions of elegant views and contact with ancient culture are provided to you. These trips are organized exactly in the autumn-winter-spring period. Tours are different in complexity, the most basic you can walk even with children.
- ATV riding: fascinating safaris on ATVs in the highlands are very popular in the vicinity of Kemer. For fans of outdoor activities and easy extreme it is an excellent option for winter entertainment.
- Visiting cultural events: ballet performances, opera, concerts of symphony orchestras and other performances are actively held in Antalya during the winter season. The Antalya Opera and Ballet Theater is located in the center of the city - not far from Mevlana street. The schedule of presentations can be viewed on the official website at the link https://secure.dobgm.gov.tr/opera2013/devopera.aspx. In Antalya, an excellent symphony orchestra, concerts that are timed to the holidays are always sold out and tickets are better to buy in advance. All kinds of performances for adults and children are also held in the cultural center AKM in the park with the Glass Pyramid opposite Migros in Konyaalti. See their schedule and buy tickets at http://www.biletix.com/mekan/A1/ANTALYA/tr
- Skates, rollers, bicycles: There is an ice rink in Antalya! And with real ice, not plastic coating. "Magic Ice" skating rink is located on the territory of the children's entertainment park Teneffüs in the city center. Also in Antalya there are many bike paths and sites where you can ride rollerblades. There are several bicycle rental centers - the prices are very democratic. As well as trekking tours, in the winter time there are organized bicycle tours. They are very different in length, routes, complexity, some can stretch for two weeks and cover many cities and interesting places.
- Golf: Winter Antalya is a hot season for golf lovers. Tourist resort Belek is widely known not only for its posh five-star hotels, but also for its magnificent golf courses. In the winter, professional players come here, as well as amateurs from many countries.
- Shopping: January-February in the shopping centers of Antalya - the time of the biggest discounts. At the end of winter, the entire winter collection is sold at discounts up to 70%. A lot of people come to Antalya in the winter in order to combine the rest with sales. There are a lot of shopping centers in Antalya: Migros in Konyaalti, Mark Antalya in the center, Terra City in Lara, Özdilek and Erasta in Kepez, Deepo, combined with Mall of Antalya and the new Agora shopping center near the airport. In each shopping center are represented the most popular both foreign and Turkish brands. In 2018, Antalya plans to open a long-awaited Ikea store.
- Ski resorts: not far from Antalya are just two ski resorts, which are very popular in the winter months - Saklikent and Davraz.
- Saklıkent is closer (only 45 km from Antalya) and is more suitable for beginners and just fans of skiing. The trails and difficulty levels are four, the maximum length of the route is 1400 meters. The highest point is 2547 m above sea level. There is a rental point for skis, snowboards, sledges. There are two lifts. For those who want to stay for the night there is a hotel, boarding houses, private lodges, renting out. You can get to Saklıkent by bus number 500, which leaves from the bus station of Antalya on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. For those who want to get on their own or rented car, it is desirable to have winter rubber.
- Davraz is located further, 160 km from Antalya, but can please with its longer and more difficult ski tracks with a good level of preparation. The total length of the trails in Davraz about 8 km, only 12 routes, different in difficulty levels, there are even so-called "black routes" for more advanced athletes. For snowboarders, a separate ski lift and a descent zone are organized. There are some simple "green" descents for children to ride. There is also a rental of all equipment, as well as courses for teaching skiing or snowboarding. Near the resort and in the vicinity there are several good hotels, where you can stay for several days and plenty to enjoy skating. The road to Davraz from Antalya takes about 2 hours by bus.
- Children's entertainment: Winter Antalya will not be boring for children of all ages. The most popular places in Antalya for children in winter are the Zıp Zıp indoor trampoline park, near the bus station, the Teneffüs entertainment park in the city center, the new toy museum in the Dokuma district, horse farms in different parts of the city where a rich Turkish breakfast can be combined with horse riding, the park attractions Aktur Park, Okenarium (Aquarium) with the Snowy room.
Life in Antalya does not freeze in winter, but, on the contrary, it becomes more active than in the hot summer months. Of course, there are some drawbacks, which sometimes greatly overshadow the rest. The most frequent complaints from visitors coming to Antalya in winter are the high humidity and low temperature in the apartments. Therefore, if you are planning to rest in your apartment in Antalya and in winter, we recommend buying apartments on the south side, paying attention to isolation and being interested in the availability or possibility of holding gas heating in the apartment. Then your winter holiday in Antalya will be as comfortable and pleasant as possible!