Turkish citizenship: opportunities to obtain
Very many buyers of Turkish real estate planning to move to Turkey for permanent residence, as well as investors in Turkish real estate are concerned about the obtaining of Turkish citizenship.
The existing opportunities for obtaining Turkish citizenship, the criteria for obtaining Turkish citizenship for foreign investors and property buyers, the conditions and requirements for applicants for Turkish citizenship - all this in a new article from Villa Antalya.
TURKISH CITIZENSHIP FOR OWNERS OF TURKISH REAL ESTATE
Buying a property in Turkey for the purpose of moving to permanent residence, you have all chances to obtain later Turkish citizenship. Turkish citizenship to foreigners permanently residing in Turkey is issued in accordance with the decision of the competent authority, subject to certain conditions. We will analyze in detail what conditions a foreigner must meet for the right to apply for a Turkish passport:
1. A foreigner must permanently and continuously live in Turkey for 5 years before applying for Turkish citizenship. The total number of days spent outside the country at this time (5 years) can not exceed 180 (6 months). All this time a foreigner must reside in Turkey legally, have a residence permit, which can be obtained on the basis of ownership of the property immediately after the purchase. Information about all entries and departures is taken in the migration service - in the department for work with foreigners (GÖÇ İdaresi)
2. The foreigner must confirm his intention to reside in Turkey permanently: the existence of property in the territory of Turkey is sufficient to confirm this intention.
3. The foreigner must have sufficient level of spoken Turkish language. The knowledge of the Turkish language is checked on a special examination after applying. The direction for the exam is given when applying. The exam verifies speaking, reading and writing.
4. Those applying for Turkish citizenship should not have diseases that pose a threat to society (tuberculosis, etc.). After applying, you will be given a referral to the state hospital for those doctors from whom you need to get a medical report.
5. A foreigner who is applying for Turkish citizenship by right of ownership of real estate must have means for living and prove his material security. To do this, you need to show the source of permanent income, for example, the regular receipt of money on your account (from leasing out real estate, your business, etc.) or have a guarantor - a citizen of Turkey, who financially guarantees your living.
6. A foreigner should not be previously convicted or brought to administrative responsibility. Certificates of non-conviction are requested by decision of the commission.
7. Positive moral characteristics also play a big role and increase the chances of acquiring Turkish citizenship. After applying for citizenship, employees of competent authorities can repeatedly visit you at your place of residence (it is very important to live exactly at the address indicated in your property right), to interview the neighbors, the manager of the complex, to talk directly with you.
An application for Turkish citizenship is submitted to the competent authorities at your place of residence (Nüfüs Müdürlüğü). Here you will be given a list of necessary documents, as well as referral to the Turkish language exam and to the hospital. Within a certain time, you will also be called to hand over fingerprints - this is an obligatory procedure for obtaining citizenship. When all documents are collected and handed over and all the stages are completed, you will have to wait for the appointment of a special commission. The commission with you will once again have a conversation in Turkish and then all documents will be sent to Ankara for consideration.
From the submission of the application to the decision in Ankara passes from 6 to 18 months.
If for any reason you are denied the citizenship of Turkey, you can try again and go through all the stages again.
When acquiring Turkish citizenship, it is not necessary to renounce your citizenship, unless it is prohibited by the laws of your country. Turkey's legislation allows for the existence of a second citizenship from its citizens. On the commission, you may be offered a way out of the citizenship of your country, but the presence of other citizenship can not serve as a reason for refusing to extradite the citizenship of Turkey.
TURKISH CITIZENSHIP FOR LARGE INVESTORS
Since 2017, foreigners who do not permanently reside in Turkey, but have made significant investments in real estate or the economy of the country, can also apply for Turkish citizenship. This group includes those foreigners who:
- Acquired real estate in Turkey worth from $ 1,000,000. It can be several real estate objects. An obligatory condition is the maintenance of the right of ownership within 3 years from the date of purchase or
- Invest in the Turkish economy from $ 2,000,000 or
- Put in the accounts in Turkish banks from $ 3,000,000. A prerequisite is to keep deposits for at least 3 years
TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY OTHER WAYS
Turkish citizenship can be issued to foreigners without buying real estate or investing in the Turkish economy. Consider the options that exist in Turkish legislation to date:
By birthright: a child whose biological father or mother has Turkish citizenship automatically becomes a Turkish citizen from the moment of birth. The place of birth does not matter.
By birthplace: a child born in Turkey by foreign parents, but who has not received any other citizenship at birth, is entitled to Turkish citizenship. A newborn born in Turkey is recognized to be born here, unless otherwise proven.
By adoption: a child adopted by a Turkish citizen can claim Turkish citizenship.
By official marriage with a Turkish citizen: before applying for citizenship in an officially registered marriage with a Turkish citizen, you must live at least 3 years. No fiction of marriage should be proven.
On a work visa: if an alien is officially employed in Turkey on the basis of a work permit and the continuous length of employment in Turkey is 5 years - he can also apply for Turkish citizenship.
ADVANTAGES OF HAVİNG TURKISH CITIZENSHIP
- the right to pension benefits and other social benefits
- the possibility of formal employment in any field of activity without the need to issue a work visa
- the possibility of visa-free visits to 102 countries on a Turkish passport
- the opportunity to preserve the citizenship of their country and enjoy the rights and benefits of both states
We draw your attention to the fact that all the information provided is up-to-date and can be changed in accordance with the changes in the Turkish legislation.
We are always happy to answer all your additional questions.