Main features of apartments in Turkey
The choice and purchase of real estate in Turkey at first look seems to be difficult and troublesome. The current and reliable information, outlined in plain language, will help you to orient yourself and feel more confident when making a decision. In this article, we describe the main features of planning, calculating area, floors numvering and other nuances of apartments on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey.
NUMBER OF ROOMSIn Turkey, the number of rooms in an apartment or villa is different from the usual one. Potential buyers are wondering what these mysterious words mean - 1 + 1, 2 + 1 and so on. The fact is that in Turkey all the rooms in the apartment or in the villa are divided into living rooms and bedrooms and are described by the formula "number of bedrooms" + "number of living rooms". For example, the standard layout of 2 + 1 means that the apartment has 2 bedrooms and one living room. One-room apartment in Turkey is a studio apartment or 1 + 0. By the way, the construction of studio apartments in Turkey is already banned at the legislative level. Studios in the primary market can still be found in Alanya. In Antalya, the construction of studios has been banned for several years, so there is only a secondary market to choose. 3 + 2 or 4 + 2 implies that the house has 2 living rooms. This type of planning is more common in villas.
DUPLEXESAnother big difference from the usual real estate market is the construction of two-level duplex apartments in Turkey. Most often, an apartment with 3 bedrooms and more is a duplex. Duplexes are of three types:
- a duplex occupying the upper floors of the building, often such an apartment is called a "penthouse" - this is the most common layout of the upper floors of buildings in both Antalya and Alanya
- duplex occupying the first and second floors of the building
- duplex, occupying the first and ground floor of the building
In the last two versions, very often apartments have a separate entrance, direct access to the garden and even a small piece of land at their own disposal. This option can become a budget substitute for a separate house.
One-level spacious apartments with 4 or more bedrooms in Antalya are either an old residential building in the city center designed for the local population or luxury complexes on the first coastline. Spacious single-level rooms with 3 bedrooms in the areas chosen by foreign buyers, a little, but can be found both in the secondary market and in new buildings.
FEATURES OF PLANNINGIn Turkey there are no standard layouts of apartments. The location of the rooms and their area, the presence or absence of an entrance hall, the number of bathrooms and balconies - all depends on the plan developed by the developer in accordance with the possibilities of the existing building area. But there are certain general moments.
- The largest room in the apartment is a living room. Bedrooms are usually small, often enough space only to install a bed and wardrobe. But in the projects of modern developers you can find bedrooms that are combined with dressing rooms.
- In the housing stock of the last 10 years in Antalya and Alanya in most apartments the kitchen is combined with the living room according to the "American type". The most convenient option in such apartments is a zoned kitchen - then it can be separated from the room by an arch, a bar counter or a kitchen table. The variant of the kitchen just along the wall of the living room also occurs quite often. For those who buy an apartment for holiday or short-term rent this is usually not a matter of principle. The apartments of the most popular layouts 1 + 1 and 2 + 1 with a separate kitchen on the Mediterranean coast - a rarity and they are, as a rule, more expensive.
- The number of bathrooms in the apartment depends on the number of bedrooms. Very often in the apartments of the layout 2 + 1 there is an additional guest bathroom. The second bathroom is located next to the bedroom and is usually larger in area than the guest bathroom. The most common option is a bathroom with a shower. If you like to take a bath, then you need to look for an apartment with a spacious bathroom, where a bathtub is already installed or there is a place for its installation. Villas often have a jacuzzi, sometimes on the terraces.
- The balcony is a very important part of the apartment in Turkey. Due to year-round sunny weather on the Mediterranean coast, the balcony is one of the main places for relaxation, tea drinking and speding time with family. Therefore, balconies in Turkey are always large in area, and in duplexes on the upper floors, the mandatory component of the layout of the apartment is a spacious terrace. Beautiful wicker furniture, flowers and greens, chaise lounges and barbecues, and even a Jacuzzi - the importance of a balcony in Turkey can not be overestimated.
APARTMENT'S AREAOne of the main questions that buyers are interested in when choosing an apartment is its area. Here you need to take into account the peculiarities of measuring the area of an apartment in Turkey. In Turkey, in the first place, the so-called "gross" area is always indicated - this is the total area of the apartment along its outer perimeter, which includes a balcony, a terrace, wall thickness, and the total area of the landing, proportionally divided into all apartments on the floor. Therefore, often the total area of the apartment and its real living space (the net area) can differ by 20-30%. Legally this fact is explained by the fact that the entire area of the land plot under the building and the entire area of the residential building itself is divided into proportional parts between all the owners. In Turkey there is no third person in the form of a municipality, to whom all this could belong. Therefore, when choosing an apartment for a real assessment of its living space, it is always worthwhile to look at the detailed plan of all the rooms or to see and evaluate the apartment in real.
FLOORSAnother important issue when choosing an apartment is its floor. In Turkey, the calculation of floors does not happen the way we are used to. The Turkish first floor is equivalent to our second one. And our first floor in Turkey is the zero or entrance floor (in Turkish giriş kat). It can be located both at the ground level and above the ground level by 50-70 cm. As a rule, in Turkey on the coast, apartments on the ground floors are always cheaper than apartments on the middle floors. This is explained, firstly, by the often smaller residential area of the apartments, secondly by security issues, and thirdly by problems that may arise in the absence of good waterproofing in the building. In our article "Choosing an apartment on the first floor" you will find all the points that should be considered when choosing an apartment on the entrance floor.
FİNE FİNİSHApartments in Turkey are "turnkey", that is, when buying a property in a new building, you get an apartment with a fine finish, with interior doors and a steel entrance door, with a full set of sanitary ware, plastic windows and external shutters, with built-in kitchen furniture. Often the apartment has already installed kitchen appliances - stove, oven, extractor fan, and air conditioning. In Turkey, the painting of walls in the apartment is popular, and not wallpapering. In luxury apartments, you can often find in the design of the apartment facing stones and wallpaper. The flooring in the rooms in most cases - laminate, in the kitchen and in the bathrooms - ceramic tiles. Very often in the living room and in the hallway you can find spot lighting.
In apartments of the secondary market, the owner at least usually made cosmetic repairs - fresh painting of walls and ceiling.
Buying furniture and household appliances in Turkey - the occupation is very pleasant and not troublesome. You only need to make a choice from a variety of options. The rest will be done by the masters - they will bring them on the appointed day and hour, collect and arrange the furniture in the specified places, install and connect the equipment.
In any case, no matter which apartment you choose, we will be pleased to help you make the necessary changes, repair, replace or repair the plumbing, choose furniture and furnish an apartment or villa at your request.